Propagation Tips: Watermelon Peperomia in water vs soil. 🌱
This is a double repost in one from @alltheplantbabies ! They have some great tips from experimenting with different ways to propagate these babies. Thanks @alltheplantbabies for tagging us and sharing!
3/15/19 repost with pic 1️⃣:
This is what happens to #watermelonpeperomia after 6 months of chillin in a test tube of water! It took forever, but how adorable are the little leaf babies that grew from the bottom of the stems? They were in distilled water under a bright, north-tilting skylight.
————— This was part of my comprehensive #atpbwatermelonprop experiment where I pretended to be a fancy Botanist to determine the best method of propagating this plant as well as whether or not I could make a variegated plant from propagating variegated leaves.
Well let me tell you, unless you have a lot of spare time, this is not an efficient method! Use leaf cuttings in soil instead. See my prior posts -> #atpbwatermelonprop to learn more.
I am #allaboutthemroots !
3/4/19 repost pics 2️⃣➡️:
Slap on your planty thinking cap to keep your head together because I’m about to blow your mind. (are you pumped?)
Back in August I started an experiment, #atpbwatermelonprop to determine:
-If I could create an entirely variegated plant from variegated #watermelonpeperomia leaves
- The most optimal way to propagate this plant
I will write up the full deets of this experiment in a future blog post, but here is a quick summary of my findings:
1. You CAN create an entirely var watermelon pep plant from propagating var leaves (pic 2)
2. The most time efficient way to make watermelon pep babies is from leaf cuttings, as opposed to sticking a stem with a leaf on it in water
3. Soil far superior to perlite + water
4. “Typical” watermelon pep leaves will propagate more vigorously, faster than their var counterparts, which lack chlorophyll necessary for photosynthesis.
5. Propagate using strong healthy leaves! My weakest link (due to size and amount of variegation), number 3, rotted halfway through the experiment.